Monday, June 29, 2009

ICFP programming contest

Last Friday at 11:16 (local time) the 2009 ICFP programming contest started. One of our students and I gave it a try. Currently we're about 190/317 (with about 30 minutes to go) which isn't great. But it was fun and I spent much of my time between the start of the contest and yesterday about 5 pm working on it.

Lots of things I did wrong - our virtual machine ran nicely (once a problem with the specification was fixed and announced) but our interface to it started all wrong. Once that was fixed there were a bunch of bugs (as usual) many of them dealing with signs of quantities. Anyway we solved all the first level problems and most of the second level problems and I had figured out the basics of the third level problems (I think).

Biggest thing that would have helped us was better communications. We were working remotely (from each other) and being in one place to share a whiteboard and be able to more quickly talk about what was wrong and draw pictures would have helped immensely.

No comments: