Monday, September 21, 2009

Pictures

I was in the Peace Corps from 1973-1977 - Zaire - now Congo (again) Shaba province (now Katanga again, I believe) in the towns of Luabo, Chibambo (on the Luapula river) and Kalemie (on Lake Tanganika). I carried a camera around and took pictures pretty often while I was there. This resulted in a box of fading photographs and another of negatives that I didn't really look at often. I've tried to scan the negatives a couple of times.

Once was in the local lab at EWU. They had a negative scanner attached to a nice big mac, but they'd disabled Terminal on the Mac so the only way to get images off was email or to burn a CD - instead of being able to scp them to my local desktop machine (sigh).

I also tried a negative scanner which scanned one image at a time, slowly, and required manual positioning on the negative. It was essentially unusable for my boxload of negatives. I returned it.

Then recently I was reminded that I wanted to do this and found a recommended scanner on Amazon - an Epson V300. And it worked very nicely, nicely enough that just two weeks later I now have 1500+ scanned negatives. I've put them all, pretty much without looking at them up on my work server (this will be going away at some point in the next year or so, I'll try to find another place to put them). I'll be going through these and removing the ones out of focus and that don't show anything, duplicates and the like and I'll also generate some thumbnails and labels. If you happen to be in one of these pictures and want it to be un-posted, let me know and I'll do that.

I may put some of them on Panoramio or something so I can add google map links to them.

No comments: